Assist the librarian in the administration of the campus library. Perform routine clerical duties under direct supervision.
High school diploma or GED
Proficient keyboarding and file maintenance skills
Ability to file books following district cataloging system
Effective communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to work well with students
One year experience working with children
One year clerical experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Library Program Support
1. Provide individual instruction and assistance in using library media center resources including computers and audiovisual equipment.
2. Shelve incoming books, materials, and equipment.
3. Ready materials for classroom or reserve collection use as requested by teachers.
4. Request and schedule use of materials from regional education service center or other source.
5. Prepare bulletin boards and displays and assist the librarian in preparing instructional materials.
6. May read to small groups of students and listen to individual students read aloud.
Accounting and Inventory
7. Operate the media center automated circulation system.
8. Collect and maintain records of student fines and prepare parent notification as needed.
9. Receive and process books, materials, and equipment and reconcile with packing slips and invoices.
10. Repair books, magazines, materials, and equipment or process for repair at outside facilities (e.g., bindery).
11. Perform routine maintenance on audiovisual equipment.
12. Assist in the annual inventory and weeding of library media center materials.
13. Maintain physical and computerized files, including card catalog, vertical file materials, and publisher catalogs.
14. Prepare bibliographies, forms, purchase orders, requisitions, and routine correspondence using personal computer.
15. Assist librarian in keeping administrative records and preparing required reports.
16. Supervise students and assist librarian and teachers to maintain student behavior and maintain an orderly atmosphere.
17. Perform assigned student monitoring duties.
18. Supervise library operation in absence of the librarian.
19. Assist with the supervision of parent volunteers and student aides.
Personal computer, printer, and copier.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Work with continuous interruptions. Maintain emotional control under stress. Climbing, stretching; and frequent lifting of books, boxes, and audiovisual equipment.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.